System of operating baggage handling complex IS-ABHS
The most important component of any highly loaded baggage system is properly managed logistics and integration of introscopes
System of operating baggage handling complex IS-ABHS
IS-ABHS (Automated Baggage Handling and Sorting) system is a software-hardware complex for operating and dispatching conveyor system of baggage handling. IS-ABHS system is complemented with control cabinets where relevant equipment for operating conveyor lines of passenger terminal and workplaces of dispatchers for control and operating baggage handling process are placed.
System of operating baggage handling complex consists of four operational levels:
Level 1. Electromechanical systems
At the electromechanical systems level, in order to avoid effect of programmable levels of the system, all functions of security protection of conveyor equipment are provided by hardware:
- Functions of operating and protection of electric motors
- Functions of safety provision (protection of motors against overheating)
- Function of emergency shutdown activated by emergency buttons installed at the panels at check-in counters and along each conveyor
- Relay interface with fire-extinguishing system – emergency shutdown upon fire alarm activation
- Relay interface with radiation monitor – emergency shutdown upon monitor alarm activation
- Relay interface with the frame for baggage dimensions check – emergency shutdown upon finding excess baggage on the main conveyor line
The baggage handling system functions with the help of electric cabinets placed in the baggage areas. Electric cabinets consist of:
- Main switch
- Power supply unit 24V DC
- Automatic switching off devices of motor protection system
- Switching-off devices (safety switches) of control circuits
- Contactors of electric motors
- Programmable controller PLC
- HMI display
- Control relay
- Switching blocks (terminal blocks)
- Manual control elements
- Light indicators
- Main power connector
Electric cabinets are manufactured with protecion level IP54 and they can be locked. The equipment can be used within the temperature range 0 — +40С in the absence of water vapour. Electric power supply voltage should be within the range of 380V+ 10%; 50Hz+2%. Equipment of the electric cabinet does not include protection device at the port of main power cable.
In addition to the aforementioned the supplied package of the operating system includes:
- Emergency shutdown stations
- Audio and light alarm system
- Control panels at check-in counters
- Control pedals at check-in counters
- Detectors of shutters’ position
- Cables for motors’ power supply
- Cables of operating system’s sensors
- Cable wall channel slots and zink-coated shoots
For inter-block assembling flexible copper multiple-core wire is used.
Level 2. Programmable controller PLC
PLC operates baggage flow in correspondence with signals received from sensors installed at conveyors of baggage handling line. The system analyzes data on receiving and distribution of baggage and directs its flow in order to optimize baggage going through introscope and avoiding its accumulation, bumping, interlocking and jammimg in places of processing and batching, by means of:
- Stopping and starting relevant conveyors
- Arrangement of baggage lines
- Making baggage flow move faster or slower
- Forcing pieces of baggage into available «windows» in the baggage flow
In addition to main function of operating baggage flow transportation the operating system provides the following functional opportunities:
- Start-stop. The system can be started and stopped from control panel. Before start, flashing sound and light alarm switches on and locks of wall apertures are opened.
- Operating conveyors for weighing and labeling.
- Energy saving. In order to prolong operational lifetime of mechanical units of equipment, to lower noise level and to save power the operating system automatically stops transporting conveyors under condition that baggage has not been arriving within a certain (set) period of time. In such situation locks of apertures remain open. The operating system automatically switches on conveyors when baggage starts arriving.
- System «fading out» control. For the safety reasons the operating system automatically stops previous conveyors and shuts them down whenever it is possible.
- Response to non-routine situations. The operating system instantly responds to any non-routine situation (for example: emergency shutdown button has been actuated or (overheating) protection has been actuated to prevent overheating of electric motor) shutting down all transporting system. Simultaneously this information is displayed at the control panel.
Controller of the complex control system is integrated with outer systems:
- Introscope for baggage inspection
- Tomograph for baggage inspection
- System of engineer systems monitoring (SMIS)
Interface of integration with introscope is fully programmable in accordance with protocol of inspection equipment offered by supplier.
Level 3. HMI-interface
HMI-interface is a touch screen installed at the cabinet of baggage handling operating system. HMI-interface displays at the screen main parameters of the system’s work:
- Configuration of baggage handling plan
- Indicators of sensors’ actuation
- Actuating signals from introscope XRAY – BHS
- Actuating signals into introscope BHS – XRAY
- States and statuses of the system
- States of connection with external systems (SMIS, SCADA, BRS)
- Buttons-indicators of programme traffic lights of baggage handling system
HMI-interface enables operator to manage technological process of baggage handling by means of pressing touch screen:
- To start and to stop the system
- To change colour of baggage traffic lights in case of failure or jamming
Level 4. SCADA
SCADA system is connected with PLC-controllers and integrated with AODB of the airport for the purpose of dispatching control and data collection. Workplace of SCADA system operator displays at its screen technological plan of baggage handling system as well as all relevant information.
Composition of the system:
- Block of interface with PLC-controller
- Server of SCADA system
- Operator’s workstation
SCADA system collects in real time all information on baggage handling and operation of integrated systems:
- Statistics of baggage handling by flights
- Statistics of introscope work by flights: time of baggage going through, time of making decision
- Statistics of emergency alarm actuations and non-routine situations
- Statistics of introscope errors
- Statistics of jams and stops of collecting conveyor
Besides, the system displays in real time at the screen of operator’s workstation:
- Information on baggage flow movement
- Error messages and recommendation on fixing errors
- Buttons of technological process control
- Information on introscopes’ operation
All collected information is stored and archived at SCADA system server.
5-level baggage inspection
Software of the system of operating baggage handling complex IS-ABHS realizes standard 5-level system of baggage inspection in accordance with ICAO Annex 17 and IATA ADRM:
|Level||Description||«Clean» baggage is directed to:||«Dirty» baggage is directed to:|
|Completely automatic decision-making by EDS system (Explosive Detection System)||Sorting carousel for baggage batching for the flight (70% of all baggage traffic)||2nd level of inspection (30% of all baggage traffic)|
Aviation Security Service (AS) operator
|Operator’s automated workplace receives image of rejected baggage from the 1st level of inspection||Sorting carousel for baggage batching for the flight (25% of all baggage traffic)||3rd level of inspection (5% of all baggage traffic)|
|Inspection with the help of additional introscope||Sorting carousel for baggage batching for the flight (4.8% of all baggage traffic)||Taking out of the system for manual inspection in presence of passenger (0.2% of all baggage traffic)|
Manual inspection, officer of AS
|Baggage inspection in presence of passenger||Manual return to baggage handling system (0.19999998%)||Loading at BDU (Bomb Disposal Unit) for taking the baggage out of the terminal and elimination (0.00000002% of all baggage traffic)|
Evacuation of terminal
|BDU takes the baggage out of the terminal for elimination||Baggage is destroyed||–|
Integration of introscopes
System of operating baggage handling complex supports 3 modes of operation of introscope connected with the system:
Режим Start/Stop is a direct interface for operating entering and outgoing conveyor of baggage handling system. Sequence of operations and image evaluation by introscope operator is the same as in separately installed introscope. From his control panel operator puts in motion not only introscope conveyor belt but the belt of feeding-receiving conveyor as well. Command exchange is performed via relay interface.
Handshake/Result mode. Operator’s control panel does not control operation of feeding and receiving conveyor but allows only to make decision on image at the screen: whether it is «clean» or «dirty». In this mode every piece of baggage is «released» from the introscope only with such made decision. There is a strict sequence of events and messages-«handshakes» exchange: ready to pass further, ready to receive, baggage has been inspected – «clean», baggage has been inspected – «dirty», operational error, transit mode. Operator is located exactly near the introscope. Command exchange is performed via relay interface.
Integration/Network mode It is used in multi-stage systems of baggage handling where several introscopes are integrated and it is necessary to track location of baggage in the system of conveyors. Baggage flow moves through introscope continuously, introscope notifies about decision made by operator on each piece of baggage, the system tracks each piece of baggage by unique identificator. All operators’ workstations and introscopes are incorporated into distributed network and distribution of images is managed by separate server. Command exchange is performed via parallel port and relay interface.
Automatic Baggage System and baggage traffic after check-in
After passenger has checked in his baggage IS-ABHS system receives standard IATA BSM message from check-in system DCS and assigns a tag «baggage has not been inspected» to the passenger. The passenger with such tag will not be allowed to pre-flight formalities zone by security service duty officer after reading the passenger’s boarding pass during access control to the inspection zone.
Baggage further goes through customs control and its data are read in baggage traffic by stationary baggage tag reader ALIS 400 what enables to start its tracking with the help of photo sensors installed at the conveyor.
After baggage has been transported into introscope of security service and if there are no objections related to it, passenger is tagged as «baggage has been inspected». Such passenger is granted access to going through pre-flight formalities – the system reads his boarding pass and gives the green light at the duty operator’s workplace.
If security service has certain questions to the baggage and operator rejects the baggage the passenger will get a tag «profound inspection» and such passenger will not be allowed to pre-flight formalities zone.
In case security service operator assigns 4th level of manual inspection to particular baggage, the system will tag the passenger as «invited for inspection» and upon boarding pass check such passenger will be directed by security service duty officer to the profound baggage inspection room.
Following the results of security service operators’ actions the system sends BPM messages to BRS and DCS on the basis of which access control of the passenger to pre-flight formalities zone and boarding gate is performed.
The system operates standard messages exchange in compliance with IATA RP 1756, 1745, 1800.
Remote support and software update
PLC is connected with Internet via ethernet cable. At any moment an engineer can get access to the system and make necessary diagnostics of the system, software update and fixing faults resulted from operation.